This Easter egg is made of gum paste. It is easier to make. And it may be filled with home-made sweets, chocolates and candies.
You can also use it as a container for a small gift, such as a folded and wrapped tie, or a brooch.
What you need:
An egg mold
(preferably a metal one)*
a child-safe scalpel or knife
- Color the gum paste as required. Then roll it out and smooth it into a well-polished smooth Easter egg mold.
- Work the paste into the mold slowly. Use the knife or scalpel to trim the uneven edge level.
- Make two and leave to dry overnight.
- Join the two halves with small blobs of royal icing and allow to set. Trim the join carefully.
- Alternatively a long fine braid of the paste may be made and used to cover the join.
- Mold the soft braid around the egg, sticking it in place with an occasional blob of icing. Make a neat join at the bottom of the egg.
- The egg may be glazed with confectioners varnish to give it a hard shiny finish.